Monday, February 10, 2014

Quilting & Knitting Progress

I've made a bit of progress on these socks made with Christmas at Downton Lorna's Laces Solemate.  These colors are not all that accurate on my computer--what looks reddish brown is actually a deep purple.  It's my project for watching Downton Abbey and for watching the Olympics--although I don't know how much I'll be watching the Olympics.  I did watch most of the opening ceremony Friday night--awesome performances, but not as awesome as the amount of money spent on the production.

I was able to get the binding on the Autumn Harvest prayer quilt--and took it to church for my friend to sew down the binding on the back while she spends countless hours at a rehab hospital while her husband recovers from heart surgery.  She also knits; it's a good time to have these skills.


Here are some details from this quilt.  I just love the pattern.  It is so adaptable to so many different styles of fabrics. (I first made a quilt from this pattern back in the early 1980s--and I'd like to make several more.)

All the quilting was done one morning on my friend's sit-down Handi-quilter.

Yesterday I cut all these pieces and  pieced them.

I have four blocks together and hope to get the rest of them together and unite them with their sashing, and maybe some borders, this week.
The colors don't show up very well.  The main fabrics are from a recent Robyn Pandolph line, but the sweet beige solid has been in my fabric collection for close to 30 years and is left over from a pink, beige and white Burgoyne Surrounded lap quilt I made back then and which became a Victory Prayer Quilt.  I'm guessing the only way I will ever find another fabric that color is if I dye it myself.

For others who are loving the quilt-like graphics of the Sochi Winter Olympics,  here's a link that explains how they are the result of sampling many of Russia's crafts and folk designs.
I love the colors they have chosen.  Can you imagine what fun we would have with lines of fabrics in pre-cuts of all these prints?!

Another knitting attempt is to see if I can turn this lace on it's head so I can make this wonderful top-down pattern by Terry Morris from the toes up instead of from the top down.  I'm hopeful.
Of course, I also need to find some sweet and lovely rosy or orchidish yarn to use.

I let Knit Picks know that one of the screws for my recently purchased yarn swift was defective and just kind of crumbled and wouldn't screw in enough to secure it, and they are sending me another.

Our third snowstorm for the week fizzled and went elsewhere.  While we need the moisture, we've enjoyed our two sunny days of mild temperatures--and all the snow at my place has melted for the first time since late November.

Happy quiltmaking and knitting......

P.S.: I've had trouble with parts of this post appearing and disappearing from my blog.  I hope that whatever the issue has been,  it is fixed now.

5 comments:

Missy Shay said...

Wow! You have been very busy!

Lynn said...

Love the mix of patterns, would never have thought those would look so well together!! Did you ever quilt the Scottie Dogs? I'm so curious to see what happens with it!

Lorna McMahon said...

You have so many fun projects on the go! I love your feather quilting. Just gorgeous! And thanks for the Sochi link!

Teresa in Music City said...

Dora, my yarn swift did the same thing! I called them and they sent out another immediately - I was very pleased with their service :) I love toe-up socks too and was very disappointed when I failed at trying to make my House Targaryen socks that way. But I figure it is good to keep in practice with the dpn's too, so I'm just trying to enjoy the process. Watching some of the Olympics too, but just certain events like figure skating. Of course, Downtown Abbey is a must watch!!!!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Love all your projects! Your quilting is always gorgeous. I've been watching the Olympics and knitting my son a pair of socks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...